November 30, 2017
The White House has a plan to force Texan and former ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson out of his US secretary of state office.
The New York Times, citing three unnamed sources, said Thursday the plan, developed as early as September, includes replacing Tillerson with CIA Director Mike Pompeo because of increasing frustration with Tillerson’s clashes with President Donald Trump and with the slow pace of hiring in the State Department.
UPDATE: Senator Bob Corker said Thursday afternoon that he has spoken with Tillerson and the secretary of state has no plans to leave his post.
The Times said Tillerson and Trump have spoken little since September, but was at the White House on Thursday morning for a meeting that Bloomberg Television said had been scheduled for weeks as a meeting with the crown prince of Bahrain.
The newspaper said White House Chief of Staff John F. Kelly developed the plan to oust Tillerson and wants it implemented at the end of the year or early in 2018.
Both Bloomberg and the Times say sources tell them Pompeo will likely be replaced by Arkansas Republican Senator Tom Cotton; the senator’s office has no comment on the speculation.